Friday, March 22, 2013

A Rose in Formation...An Extended Story In The Works


A Rose With Many Thorns

 
 
The ambulance’s sirens were blaring louder and louder, and the man with the beady eyes wouldn’t give up hounding me with the questions.

“Why? Why did you do it?”

I mean, what kind of question was that? On the outside, everything was going perfect, but then it all came tumbling down. Like the Walls of Jericho, my reign was over. It was time for me to surrender to my enemy. Her spirit had haunted my life for the past 18 years.

“Ma’am, I need you to listen to me. What happened in there?”

The beady-eyed man was now gazing down and assaulting me with his offensive breath. As if God couldn’t make matters worse, his double D sized breasts were now smothering my face as he grabbed my wrist to get a pulse.

“Frank, take her to Jefferson,” said beady eyes giving order to the driver while hooking me up to the I.V.

“Ma’am, I know this is probably hard for you, but you’re going to have to tell me something?”

I wanted to tell him to get a lifetime supply of weight watchers and tic-tacs.

It wasn’t long before we arrived at the emergency entrance of the hospital. He and an emergency room worker lifted the gurney from the truck and rolled me into Jefferson.

 “What happened to her?” asked the nurse.

“Attempted suicide. She overdosed on some prescription pills,” responded Beady Eyes.

“Alright, does she have insurance? Where is her information? I’m going to need her identification.”

“Hold on, I think I have it right here. Roselyn James, twenty-two years-old, and no insurance.”

“Ughh…Take her to psych,” said the nurse with a tone of haste and annoyance.

So, Beady Eyes rolled me to what I assumed was psych and lifted me off the gurney on to a bed.

“Alright, pretty lady, this is where you start thinking about how you’re going to get your life together.”

If I weren’t feeling so weak, I’d tell him a thing or two about getting his life together. Fat freak!

“Hello, Ms. James. I am Dr. Gaither. I will be monitoring you this evening. How many pills did you take?”

Now, I went from Beady Eyes to Dr. Weirdo. He was talking to me as if I were some special case.

“I don’t remember how many I took. I just swallowed.”

“Okay, was the bottle full or near the end? Can you give us an estimate of around sixty or twenty?”

“I would say more than sixty.”

“You took more than sixty of these?” asked the doctor with alarm.

“Yeah,” I said closing my eyes. I was hoping that this nightmare would soon be over.

“I think Borderline Personality Disorder,” said the resident accompanying the doctor.

“Ms. James, This is Detective Lawson. She is here to ask you a few questions,” introduced the doctor.

Detective Lawson approached the bed with an aura of authority. This angry looking woman looked as though she would get the truth out of me by any means possible. By the size of her, I was hoping physical force was not an option.

“Alright, Ms. James, who killed Lonnie Ortiz?”

“Vivian.”

“Who is Vivian?”

“She is an evil witch.”

“I see you have jokes. Sit-up, said the detective lifting my arm to position me upward.”

“I said, Vivian,” I snapped.

“Ms. James, we can do this one or two ways. You can answer my questions smoothly, or I’ll demand them from you rough. Vivian has been dead for the past 18 years. Now, who killed Ortiz?’

All of a sudden my stomach started churning. It felt as though someone was ripping out my insides. I clenched my teeth and gripped the bars on the side of the bed.

“Hey, before you die. I need you to tell me what happened,” yelled the detective.

 “Detective, I’m going to have to ask you to leave,” demanded the doctor.

“I need answers to my case. Lonnie Ortiz was her boyfriend, and she might know who committed the murder.”

“Ms. James needs her rest. Her recovery is our priority. Please, leave the room.”

 “It was Vivian. She killed Ortiz. She killed Nanny. She killed Lisa,” I whispered before passing out.

When I woke up, I was in a bed next to some fat girl sitting in a chair beside me.

“Hey, beautiful! You may have a lot of issues to face out there in the real world, but today you’re with Nurse Annie, and we’re going to have fun. You’re too beautiful to be trying to commit suicide. With that model physique, you should have the world at your finger tips. Here, someone brought you some roses.”

Fatty lifted the vase towards the bed, so I could grab the card. Who could they be from? Everyone I had ever loved fell victim to Vivian. Nanny, Lisa, and Lonnie had all succumbed to her wrath. I attempted to pull the rose with the attached card from the vase. The second I grabbed the stem, the card opened up and revealed the name.

It read, “Love Mommy, Rose!”

I turned to the nurse, who seemed unaware of the terror I was facing.

“Careful honey, don’t grab the rose with many thorns.”

 
By: Brandon V. Smith
Copyright (c) 2013

1 comment:

  1. I'm eager to read more! I curious to know about her past. She seems like an angry, bitter woman and I want to know what made her that way. I love it!

    ReplyDelete